Sunday, January 22, 2012

The Reaper Came Knocking

December 17, 2011.
Patient is unresponsive, heart rate is in the 20's...
One emergency craniotomy later I am here to say nice try cancer.
On December 28, 2010 I was diagnosed with cancer. After that day my main goal was to make it to December 28, 2011 to be able to celebrate my "new birthday". One year as a survivor/patient. One year and still going strong.
I almost didn't make it to that day and the celebration.
11 days earlier a newly discovered 9 cm brain tumor in the left occipital lobe very nearly kept me from reaching a very important milestone.
I had been experiencing some vision issues as well as increasingly worsening headaches for a period of a couple of months which lead me to seeking an appointment with Ophthalmology. After a field of vision test it was determined that I had lost my vision in the lower right quadrant of both eyes, leaving me with a blind spot. The speculation was that, worst case scenario, I had a tumor in the occipital lobe of the brain damaging the optic nerve and an urgent MRI was scheduled to be conducted within 48 hours. Thus began a whirlwind 9 day period.
  • December 8, 2011: MRI of the brain.
  • December 9, 2011: Results confirmed and delivered, a 9 cm mass is present in my brain.
  • December 12, 2011: Consult with Neurosurgery, surgery scheduled for December 20, 2011.
  • December 12, 2011: Consult with Radiation Oncology, a course of radiation therapy recommended for post surgery.
  • December 15, 2011: A series of worsening headaches brings me to the ER.
  • December 15, 2011: I "black out" and have no memory of any event until December 20, 2011.
  • December 15, 2011: Admitted to ICU.
  • December 16, 2011: Surgery moved to December 19, 2011.
  • December 17, 2011: Vital signs take a dive, I become unresponsive and my heart rate drops into the 20's.
  • December 17, 2011: Surgery becomes urgent and a left craniotomy to resect my tumor mass is performed this day.
Surgery was a success, but this latest obstacle set me back a bit more and gave me more hurdles to overcome. Prior to discharge day I was evaluated by speech, occupational and physical therapy to determine what services I would need in order to regain my abilities and whether I would be able to be discharged to home or to a treatment facility. With sheer will and determination I was able to prove that I would only need physical therapy and that I would be able to be safe and function at home. When discharge day arrived I needed to use a walker to leave the hospital, but I was able to walk out. It was a slow walk and a bit unstable, but I was walking.
And now to the present day.
After a few weeks with the walker I was able to transition to a cane, presently I use neither.
The vision loss is permanent but I am making adjustments and learning to accomodate for it.
With the help of an amazing physical therapist I am regaining endurance, coordination, balance and strength. I have a ways to go but I am making great progress.
So, to make a long story short, everybody gets knocked down. How quick are you going to get back up?

3 comments:

  1. Brian,
    I am in awe of you! I can't even find the words to explain my reaction to this post. All I can say is WOW!!! I can't begin to imagine what you have endured and what you must continue to endure. I don't know how you do it. I think I would have given up by now. You certainly are an inspiration!!! God bless you, Ellon, and the soon to be Dougan! Keep fighting and be strong!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Jen, I most definitely will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. If you are reading this and you are suffering from any kind of human disease God just heard your prayer,Dr Itua Herbal Center Contact,Email: drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com Or WhatsApp:+2348149277967.
     I was so very sick when I came across someone telling story of his life on how Dr Itua gave his dead life back to her, Her Name was Achima Abelard A Germany lady.
    Dr Itua help me to cure my Bladder cancer, I take his treatment for 3 weeks and I was cured completed. He resides in west African but I order his herbal medicines through Mail which I received withing 5 days also I was instructed on how I will drink it for 3 weeks to cure which I did totally I'm well now.
    I think this Dr Itua is A GOD sent from heaven because i have heard several times that there is no cure but Dr Itua surprises me, put joy on my face.if you are suffering from,Bladder cancer,Throat cancer,Thyroid Cancer,Uterine cancer,Fibroid,Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Brain Tumor,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity,Multiple myeloma,Tach Diseases,Leukemia,Liver cancer,
    Esophageal cancer,Gallbladder cancer,Gestational trophoblastic disease,Head and neck cancer,Hodgkin lymphoma
    Intestinal cancer,Kidney cancer,Hpv,Lung cancer,Melanoma,Mesothelioma,Neuroendocrine tumors
    Non-Hodgkin lymphoma,Oral cancer,Breast Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Ovarian cancer,Hepatitis,Skin cancer,Soft tissue sarcoma,Spinal cancer,Adrenal cancer.Bile duct cancer,Bone cancerStomach cancer
    Testicular cancer,
    Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Alzheimer's disease,Chronic Diarrhea,Copd,Parkinson,Als,Adrenocortical carcinoma  Infectious mononucleosis. Vaginal cancer,Vulvar cancer,,Sinus cancer,Brain cancer,Hiv,Herpes,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Chronic Disease.

    ReplyDelete