Sunday, July 3, 2011

Consults, Tests and the Waiting Game

If good things come to those who wait, I must have some good things coming my way.
It has been a couple of months now since I finished the originally scheduled course of chemotherapy, long enough that I can report that I once again have eyebrows, eyelashes, nose hair, facial hair as well as a lovely layer of soft fuzz growing on my head. So much for aerodynamics and being able to go for weeks without shaving. If my voice goes deeper I will officially call it puberty 2.0.
In the time since my last treatment I have been working hard to train and regain my fitness and endurance, it has been a mixed bag so far, cycling has been going better than running but I am consistently inconsistent at both. My efforts seem to be all over the place, the gains I feel like I make one day are gone the next and I am still nowhere close to my old form and rhythm. However, if my treatment schedule permits, I still intend to ride in the Livestrong Challenge. (Please use the link to help me support an organization that has been a great resource for myself and over 28 million others living with cancer. By following the link you can donate and/or sign up to participate in a great event and even join Team Dougan. Please also share the link with family, friends, co-workers, strangers...)
Ok, back on track, treatment schedule you say? Yes, I am waiting to find out the schedule for the next steps in my treatment plan. After a consult, some conference calls and a liver biopsy it has been determined that a retroperitoneal lymph node dissection, commonly referred to as RPLND is the next step in the process for me. It is now just a matter of it being scheduled, which is what I am waiting to hear back about. Ah, the waiting game, it still fails to get anymore fun, no matter how many times I play.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like things are going smooth and steady. Prayers to keep it that way. - Jeri

    ReplyDelete